One can understand the mental pressure of solitary confinement. Washington State Prison officials have done their part when prisoners are so confined. They are given a pamphlet entitled “101 Ways to Relieve Stress.” Here are some of the kindly tips for the solitary prisoners (with Barometer comments):
1. “Plant a tree.” (Check with the warden first)
2. “Go on a picnic.” (If this is the plan, notifying the warden first may not be a good idea)
3. “Put air freshener in your car.” (Ask the warden if a family member can do this for you.)
4. “Avoid negative people.” (That’s a tough one in prison, but will be relatively easy during solitary, so enjoy the solitude.)
5. “Relax, you have the rest of your life.” (And your plans are pretty much in place for that)
Cruel and unusual punishment come to mind, or at least a cruel and unusual joke.
Thanks to Mike Baker at the New York Times for this fascinating story. November 18, 2019, p. 14.